Legal Support For The Duties Of Probate And Estate Administration
- Have you been named the executor of an estate?
- Are you the beneficiary of a will or trust?
- Has a loved one passed away without a will?
The legal team at Stefans Law Group can help. Our compassionate and experienced attorneys understand what a confusing and difficult time this can be. We are here to guide you step by step through the probate and estate administration process.
What Is The Difference Between Estate Administration And Probate?
Estate administration is the general process of sorting out someone’s affairs and managing their property after they’ve passed away. Probate is the court process for managing and administering their estate. Whether an estate requires probate depends on the terms of the person’s estate plan.
Each state has its own set of laws governing a person’s estate plan or lack thereof. Generally speaking, here is what to expect with regard to a loved one’s estate:
- If the person had a will, the probate process is necessary for validating that will and carrying out its terms. This process can take up to a year or more, depending on the complexity of the estate and whether any disputes arise.
- If the person didn’t have a will or estate plan, their property will be managed and distributed in accordance with the state law that addresses these situations. These laws determine who the lawful heirs are and what part of the estate they each inherit. A personal representative is appointed by the court to properly distribute the property (like an executor). This can quickly become complicated, costly and confusing without some help from an experienced professional.
We Help You Carry Out The Tasks And Solve Problems
Grieving the loss of a loved one is difficult enough without the added stress of navigating the complicated probate and estate administration process. Fortunately, you don’t have to face it alone.
We are here to help. Our skilled and dedicated team of professionals will guide you through the process compassionately and efficiently. When you encounter obstacles or have questions, our team is responsive and helpful.
Get Started Today With A Free Consultation
Stefans Law Group has four convenient office locations on Long Island. If you have been named to administer an estate or trust, or if a loved one has died and you don’t know what to do, schedule a free initial consultation with one of our patient and knowledgeable lawyers. Call 516-692-2744 or reach out by email.