Legal Support For The Duties Of Probate And Estate Administration
- Have you been named the executor of an estate?
- Are you the beneficiary of a will or trust?
- Has a loved one passed away without a will?
The legal team at Stefans Law Group can help. Our compassionate and experienced attorneys understand what a confusing and difficult time this can be. We are here to guide you step by step through the probate and estate administration process.
What Are Estate Administration And Probate? Are They The Same Thing?
Probate and estate administration are similar processes by which a decedent’s property is passed to named beneficiaries or lawful heirs. Everyone has an estate. Some people give directions in an estate plan about what to do with their property after their death, and others do not.
Each state has its own set of laws governing a person’s estate plan or lack thereof. The Probate Court supervises both probate and estate administration.
• If the person had a will, the will goes through probate and the executor named in that will is responsible for ensuring the property goes to the named beneficiaries. The entire process usually takes about a year. This is easier, quicker, and less expensive for the court and for families because the decedent left detailed instructions on what to do with his or her property.
• If a person dies without a will, the person’s property is distributed according to that state’s intestate succession laws. These rules dictate who the lawful heirs are and what part of the estate they each inherit. A personal representative is appointed by the court to properly distribute the property (like an executor). This can quickly become complicated, costly and confusing without some help from an experienced professional.
We Help You Carry Out The Tasks And Solve Problems
Grieving the loss of a loved one is difficult enough without the added stress of navigating the complicated probate and estate administration process. We can help you with every aspect of probate and estate administration.
Our skilled and dedicated team of professionals will guide you through the process compassionately and efficiently. When you encounter obstacles or have questions, our team is responsive and helpful.
Get Started Today With A Free Consultation
Stefans Law Group has four convenient office locations on Long Island. If you have been named to administer an estate or trust, or if a loved one has died and you don’t know what to do, schedule a free initial consultation with one of our patient and knowledgeable lawyers. Call 516-692-2744 or reach out by email.